Friday, January 29, 2010

To Infinity And Beyond

Well, in this, my final post related to Stranger Than Fiction (for the time being, at least. I make no promises about eternity), I'd like to throw out a quote from a character whose name I've forgotten but I call in my head Awkward-Friend-Guy. In response to the question what he'd do if he thought he were going to die, he said, "Easy. I'd go to space camp." Bear in mind, this guy is at least 30. When the MC asked him if he weren't just a little old to be going to space camp, Awkward-Friend-Guy replied in all seriousness, "You're never too old to go to space camp, dude."

"You're never too old to go to space camp." You are never too old to go after your dream. (If your dream is to run with the bulls in Pamplona, I might suggest rigorous training in advance and getting on that goal now. But who am I to set an age limit on running with the bulls? You know your limits better than I, bull-runners.)

Let me expand this to both ends of the spectrum. You are also never too you to start pursuing your dreams, either. You are never to young to plan the adventures you'd like to have, write that novel, learn to speak Portuguese in preparation for the day you get marooned in Lisbon by your pirate comrades.

Age is rarely a factor in what you want. (Unless what you want is a driver's license, in which case the government might take issue with your time of birth. DISCLAIMER: I am not encouraging anyone to violate the law of your state/province, your country, or physics. Please check with your local officials and appropriate medical person before attempting bullfighting/flight/marionette racing, etc.) The right time to start going for what you want is now.

Now.

Don't let anything hold you back. 'I haven't seen enough/done enough/learned enough.' You can learn more, figure out more. Get smarter, get wiser. These things can be achieved. They aren't time sensitive. Strike while the iron is hot and get what you're going for.

Do you often feel like you're questioned about what you want or feel unable to achieve it because of your age level? How important do you think age is to writing? Does age correlate to experience?

9 comments:

  1. Interesting post...I've been thinking a lot about this lately as so many of the agented authors I'm seeing in the blogosphere are all in their teens and twenties. I'm a litte bit older than that (ok, so I'm twice the age of some of them).

    But to be honest, the novel I've just finished could not have been written fifteen years ago. I tried. What I've just produced is better for my life experiences, my maturity, my patience in researching and revising. Not to say that today's young authors aren't producing great stuff. I'm just saying that for me and my projects, my age is an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think age and experience go hand in hand and as personally, I wouldn't have the perspective to look back and write the YA I do without being "out of the box." It's nice to know you've lived through it, but it's also nice to know that you're now on the outside and can look in/back at the experience with some objectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the news the other night was a woman who was 100, or older, who just graduated from college. Way to go Granny!

    Me, I think I'd like to travel to Europe and do the whole 'continental thing'. Also learn how to speak French again.

    My basic dream my whole life was to be published. It still is, and I'm trying to gain on that. Queries are out. I'm just waiting for takers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I've got a craving to watch that awesome 80's movie Space Camp. So...good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And remember to keep going! I never would have imagined that writing a book would take this long, but I refuse to give up. It may just take a while longer for me to get to space camp, but I'll get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting thoughts. I don't think age matters. I'm old, though, so what do I know? (lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an interesting question. I think time helps us grow as writers, so in theory, the older we get/the more experiences we have, the better we write? Right?

    And my mother-in-law informed me that she wants to go to Space Camp. I can't say that would ever be a dream of mine (anymore, it was when I was ten), but to each his/her own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've known some very old 21-year-olds who have already lived through so much... certainly being older gives you more time to have experiences, but they don't always go hand in hand.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dreamstate -- Age and maturity can be of value in writing. I merely meant to add that youth is no reason not to begin. The best time to start going to what you want is when you tried -- now.

    Windy -- I wouldn't deny that age and certain experiences can go hand in hand. But the age is not always what one thinks. After all, one can experience marriage at 18, or motherhood at 16, or college matriculation at 42. Still, I think there is something to what you said of being past an experience to be able to write about it objectively.

    Piedmont -- Congrats on getting your queries out. You're going for what you want, and that's a good thing. Good luck on the French. It's a beautiful language.

    Gretchen -- I've never seen Space Camp. It sounds interesting.

    Stephanie -- You're right. Yes, perseverance is key. I'm glad you're still trying. :)

    Elana -- Thanks. lol. :)

    LnL -- Well, time is necessary to learn new skills, but I do think we can start learning those new skills at any age. After all, a neophyte is a neophyte irrespective of age, and all can begin learning immediately. Wish your mother-in-law good luck with Space Camp for me. :) It's good she's got a dream.

    Suzette -- I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete