Thursday, January 14, 2010

Splitting Focus

I talk a fair amount on this blog about the importance of not biting off more than one can chew. But, if I took that seriously, you would think I'd wouldn't be in various stages in three different books, not to mention working on my ow writing at the same time. But, there am I, strolling on the fine line of insane.

I don't think I've ever been a one-book-at-a-time sort of girl. More often than not I've had some sort of reading that I 'had' to do, as it were, for various reasons, and then I'd have the reading of something I picked out for myself and actually planned to enjoy. And, sometimes, in addition to those, I'd have that book I planned to read and enjoy that I didn't want anyone to know I was reading and therefore could only read when no one could see me -- not an easy thing to achieve.

So, I guess it shouldn't be so surprising that I started with one book I 'had' to read, then picked up another that I wouldn't be able to carry around in public (yes, I do sometimes get embarrassed about what I read) because it sounded interesting. And then, of course, because I'm a masochist, I got distracted by something young, modern, and pretty.

Still, this shouldn't be a problem. I hope.

I usually don't have a problem reading more than one book at once. I'm pretty good at keeping plots and characters straight in my head. But I don't want the reading to interfere with my other responsibilities, and that might be harder to manage.

Are you juggling more than one book at the moment? Do you like to be reading more than one thing at once?

6 comments:

  1. I'm actively reading The Hunger Games right now, but I also have Her Fearful Symmetry on audiobook in the car. And I'm reading a tome on Theodore Roosevelt and the National Parks, but that's in small doses.

    I need more reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I would often be reading a fiction book for escapism, another fiction book for when I misplaced the first one (a frequent event), and a book of popular science. Now I get Brain Fog from my CFS/ME so I more often only read one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to read all the time, I was never without a book...until I had my daughter. Now I'm lucky if I find the time to browse through a magazine.

    The last true book I read was 'John Adams' by David Mccullogh for research and even then I only made it half-way through and rented the movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie -- I'm impressed. That sounds like quite a hefty list.

    hedgehog -- That makes sense. I wouldn't suggest juggling if it gets in the way of enjoying all the books. I'm sorry about the Brain Fog.

    Piedmont -- Audiobooks are a great way to squeeze books into a crowded day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only read one book at a time. Well, I guess I can only read one fiction book at a time. Most often, I'm reading a fiction book and a book on the craft of writing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan -- Reading one book at a time is probably a good thing, since it allows you to focus on the story. I'm just not always able to resist the lure of another book.

    ReplyDelete