Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Joy of Toys

I got a new toy in the mail yesterday. And by toy I mean book. And not just any book. The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and David Shapard.

It's wonderful. I'm in love. I loved Pride and Prejudice when I read it. I loved the movie with Kiera Knightly. I loved the BBC miniseries (hell, I watched all 5 hours in one sitting). I loved it when I did sound for a theatrical production of it. So, yes, I love Pride and Prejudice. But this book is just taking me to whole new levels.

Usually, when I have writing that I ought to be doing (and when I'm in the process of reading two other books) I tell myself not get distracted by Shiny Awesome Toy. I mean, they're awesome and cool and new, but I should focus. But I'm telling myself it's research, and I'm letting it slide.

And, the thing is, it really is research. Not just the historical period, which is what I was hoping for, either. (Though I'm learning lots of interesting historical tidbits. Did you know that blackjack used to be called Vingt Un?) It also contains notes on Austen's use of foreshadowing, dialogue, foils, and telling details. God, she was brilliant. I feel like it's giving me hints on how to be a better writer as a keep going. I would definitely recommend this book to those who want to improve their style and technique.

Excuse, me, I'm off to go giggle with glee now. :D

1 comment: