Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Thief Book 2.5

That's it. I'm done. Well, done-ish.

Yesterday, I finished the rewrite of the Thief Book, the draft which I have dubbed version 2.5. Yes, 2.5, because my process is just special like that. And by special, I, of course, mean, in need to intense assistance, lots of moral support, and a strong cup of coffee. Except I don't like drinking coffee, so maybe I'll just offer it a strong mug of tea.

This would be more exciting for me, if I didn't know it were going to soon be followed by The Thief Book 3.0. /headdesk/ But, I'm not going to think about that fact or the three scenes in need of major rewriting at the moment. For now, I'll just let it sit on it's flash drive (long story, that), and wait while I pretend to work productively on something else.

Okay, I'm just going to say this. This draft got long. The first draft came in about 10k longer than I thought, and I cut a bunch of stuff from this draft, so I figured it would cut down to the intended size. Nope, it's shot up to 120% of its original size. That draft ate its Wheaties. That and two of my minor characters were gifted with a subplot during the rewriting process. What can I say, it happened while my back was turned.

But, in the mean time, I have plenty of other revisions and rewriting I can devote my time to. (Okay, now I'm rather wondering if it's just been too long since I pulled out a new idea and wrote from scratch. It's been a lot of rewriting lately. But, then again, this could be the fact that it's the middle of the night talking. So, please ignore the previous for the moment.)

Anyway, I hope you are all having a fabulous day. Hope the weather's lovely. It's actually been remarkably sunny here lately. It fills me with guilt, since I can't type outside so I'm indoors all the time. But, enough about me. How are you all doing?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing 2.5! I feel your pain about coming in long...as that is my history. Good luck paring it down!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing! That's a huge accomplishment. I've done a full rewrite before, and it was a lot of work. Mine got shorter, though. I think I'd have a heart attack if mine got longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DL -- Thanks for the congrats and the empathy. If only there were some magical devise for shortening things.

    Glamis -- Thanks. I am very glad your heart is still intact. Hope the writing's going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Congrats on finishing another revision! Even if it did get a little chunkier in the process. But...chunky isn't bad, right? There's just more of it to love! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki -- Thanks. And I am absconding with that perspective on length, because it makes me happy. I actually lol'd. :D

    ReplyDelete