Friday, October 9, 2009

The Seven Vice of Highly Creative People

A while ago I read an interesting article about the 7 Vice of Highly Creative People. This is not to be confused with the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, though that's definitely worth a look-see. If you don't feel like following the link (which I'd recommend actually, because it was an interesting article) I'll cut it down to the bare bones.
  1. Drink
  2. Smoke
  3. Gamble
  4. Eat Great Food
  5. Wear Awesome Clothes
  6. Get Some
  7. Have Massive Debt
Sounds like the life doesn't it? Maybe not my life, but I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy doing all of these things. I was going to ask you all to try to name someone for each of the vices, and then I realized you can answer Mark Twain for basically all of them, or Picasso (can you say Vice #6), so that turned out to be a wash. But the vices definitely worked for them.

I have to admit, none of those is particularly my vice of choice. Does that mean I have to give up the writing? I think choose to believe no.

If any of those is my vice, it'd be number 4. I like food, especially carbs. Good food is great. But, on the other hand, I have an appreciation for greasy food in smoky bars (1 and 2 should be easy to meet in those places, if I partook of either) that doesn't seem quite compatible with the fourth vice. Pity.

I wish I could cultivate an interest in fashion, because then I'd have a killer vice and a killer wardrobe; however, I instinctively tend towards the comfortable rather than the fashionable. I' sometimes tempted to go form a kicking wardrobe, but I'm much too lazy for that. (Thus spoke the girl in mocs and a two sizes too big sweater.) My clothes are comfy, and I refuse to apologize for it.

How about you? What's your vice of choice?

3 comments:

  1. I love comfy clothes too. All my trousers have elastic somewhere in the waistband!

    The father of a friend of ours was an artist and he had the idea that he'd be a better artist if he showed more artistic temperament i.e. if he was grumpier. I don't see it myself.

    I barely drink at all these days, and I don't smoke, gamble or have massive debts. I do eat too much chocolate, though. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what my vice is. I'll have to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairyhedgehog -- Yes, chocolate is an excellent vice. In theater, I met a lot of people I called "artistes" who had that stereotypical 'temperament.' I was never sure it helped much either.

    Susan -- It's okay. We can't all be dark and vice ridden.

    ReplyDelete