Friday, October 2, 2009

Chapter Titles

When I was in 11th grade, I had to read Grapes of Wrath. It wasn't my favorite book of the year, but I enjoyed it, and you can certainly learn a lot from it about writing. But that's not what I'm thinking about now.

For me, the book really began with the third chapter In Which A Turtle Crosses a Road.

Okay, everyone who's familiar with that book is probably thinking, 'Wait, I don't remember that chapter.' And, you're right. There was no chapter with that name. In fact, none of the chapters have names. But when I reached the third chapter, I started naming the chapters myself. It was fun. (I named Chapter 14 In Which There Is Manself. :D)

My favorite book for chapter titles is probably Stardust by Neil Gaimen. They were so funny, without giving away too much of the chapter. My favorite: Chapter Three In Which We Meet Many People, Most of Them Alive, Who Have An Interest In The Fate Of The Fallen Star.

Yeah, I like chapter titles. Oddly enough, though, I don't use them. I wish I did, because I love them so much, but they never occur to me as I'm going.

How about you? How do you feel about chapter titles? Any favorites, in a book or a book with them? Do you title your chapters?

4 comments:

  1. I named my chapters after I wrote them, but only for myself. When I submitted before, and when I submit again, my chapters will not have names. But I'm rather fond of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LW -- If you like the chapter names, I don't see why you don't keep them. But you can always bring them back later if and when you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like putting chapter titles in my stories just because they help me keep focus and organized.

    I like chapter titles in books as well. I think they can be engaging and can shed light on an author's sense of humor. Off the top of my head,some good titles are from the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maiden -- Yes, I forgot about those. The Percy Jackson series did have some good titles.

    ReplyDelete