Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Are You Listening?

Once upon a time, some people I know and I had a silly debate about audiobooks. Basically, it boiled down to the question: Do they count?

One of the guys said they do, because you've experienced all of the words the author meant you to experience. The other said it didn't, because you weren't going through the reading process (this appears to be a common objection to audiobooks. I've gotten it from others as well). Me, I'm more of a middle of the line sort of person. I fully believe that listening to an audio counts as reading the book. On the other hand, I know that listening to a book takes less time than reading it and, for me at least, it's easier.

I've taken to using audiobooks a lot more lately. I use them for things like assigned reading. It's more convenient. I can do it on the treadmill (when I'm pretending to exercise) or when I have to walk to the store. I carry the book with me to leave my post-it notes, but mostly I just listen. And, strangely, I think I remember it better that way. I think I've a more auditory than visual memory.

Sorry for the rambly post. Basically, what I'm saying is, audiobooks count, and I'd like to come out in favor of them.

Do you listen to audiobooks? Do you count them as reading the books?

6 comments:

  1. I can't. I always get distracted by something and then stop listening while I contemplate. I'm more visual, though. I envy people who can fully appreciate audio books, but they're lost on me.

    That said, I think they still count toward experiencing what the author means for you to experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair. That's why I use it where there's little I can get distracted by, such as when I'm exercising. I get distracted as well.

      Delete
  2. You bring up an interesting subject. I've never really thought about it. Some people learn more by listening, others by reading. To have to choose which is better seems odd to me. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just as happy to sell a CD of my book as I am to sell the actual hard copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi -- That is definitely a valid point. Either way, it's book exposure.

      Delete
  3. They definitely count! You are still experiencing the words just in a different way.

    ReplyDelete