Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day of Silence

On Friday, I did something that, for me, is quite unusual. I said nothing. Nothing.
For about 6 hours, I, along with several friends others across the country, did not speak. This was in an effort to raise awareness of the silence enforced on those who cannot speak up about being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT). Friday was the Day of Silence.

My friends and I didn't meet with any homophobia where we live, which is a positive upswing. In previous years, we've gotten remarks like "Don't be gay, talk today," and a few people saying that homosexuals should go kill themselves. Last year, a bisexual girl told me she thought she was being specifically targeted for harassment, because she chose to be part of DOS. This year was better.
I certainly hope that through youth education we can do something about the acceptance problems in America.

It's an interesting experience not talking, and it's never really like any other time you've done it. I learned something new. Words can literally stick in your throat. There were times when I felt like I was chocking on the words I couldn't say. It was an interesting experience.

No matter what anyone says about technology replacing human communication, Homo sapiens are very verbal creatures. Personally, I love talking. It's so much easier than anything else I was able to do on Friday to make a point. (Imagine trying to mime concepts like integrals, ethics, or white blood cells.) I have a feeling the human race is going to be talking for a long, long time to come.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good experience. It would definitely be hard not to talk... but I guess communicate can come in many forms, like for those that are deaf and use sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've experimented with silence as well. It's difficult to hold words inside.

    ReplyDelete